Wednesday, 22 July 2009

YouTube -- Now in 3D! Join The Experiment With Us!

First there was 1953's 3D thriller "House of Wax," then there was the Michael Jackson adventure "Captain EO," and this summer there are at least three major motion pictures in 3D. The format is exploding in popularity, and already there are countless 3D videos on YouTube. We wanted to make it easier for you to watch and enjoy them in a variety of formats, since having a 3D experience usually requires special glasses or viewing techniques. Here's a brief overview video.



This is a new feature and many of the kinks are still being worked out (for instance, 3D videos cannot be embedded). But as with most things on YouTube, we need your help. We are looking for you to show us the real potential of this feature by making a fascinating, funky 3D video of your own. Tag it with "yt3d:enable=true," and leave the link in a comment on this blog. We'll feature a small selection on the homepage in an upcoming 3D-themed spotlight.



Some basics around shooting 3D videos (this isn't easy, so patience is key):


* Use two cameras arranged like a pair of eyes.

* Start both cameras recording simultaneously.

* In your video editing program, place the footage for the left and right eyes together in the frame side by side, with the right eye on the left and the left eye on the right.

* Upload your video! Edit your videos tags and add yt3d:enable=true. If video is widescreen, add yt3d:aspect=16:9 too.




For user discussions around 3D video, visit the YouTube forum.



Have fun!

Peter Bradshaw, Software Engineer

20 comments:

EdzJohnson said...

Hey,

Awesome stuff, I've added this on my HD & Widscreen video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoVuh_00L1Y

=)

Andrew said...

Great! No matter what people say this is a great feature I mean whats wrong with at least having this feature even if people don't want it it's till there. I Recently bought 3D glasses so this will be great!

Rachel said...

please enable interlaced mode for polarised screens like the Zalman Trimon

Alan said...

This sounds like great stuff. Watching 3D videos at the movie theatre is already attracting big audiences so having this facility on YT will bring even more visitors to the site.

Ket said...

Interlaced would be a real boost, I have a zalman monitor as well, and it would be excellent to support it. I will endeavour to get some 3D videos uploaded now !! Maybe some slideshows of my stills to begin with.

Justin said...

I have recorded the breakdancer who won Britains got talent 2008 tv series George Sampson and his cousin Ellis in Manchester in stereoscopic 3D in red/blue glasses as an mpeg video.
I recorded this video using my full-colour (color) 3D lens on my camcorder.I wish I cud hav uploaded th full mpeg field sequential full colour (color) 3D vid,but th file is too big (over 100MB) but I had 2 transfer it into an mpeg from full color vid file played with stereoscopic player & using th video out utility of my computer,recorded to dvd recorder and converted dvd 2 mpeg vid file & uploaded it 4 u 2 watch.
And 4 people who hav not got a fast computer,like me,shud upload their videos in th mpeg2.TS format,the HD equivelent as known as Transport Stream,that way their videos can B viewed also on windows media player or mac media player in HDTV format,the same format used on tv set-top boxes,without th need 4 a fast computer.Just a thought.

Here is the link 2 watch this 3D video,but u will need red/blue 3D glasses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlMOlfeZ_4c

Justin said...

I wish I cud upload what I also recorded in full colour (color) 3D transferred red/blue glasses,is a U2 tribute band from Burnley,Lancashire,England,U.K,who were supporting th opening of th U2-3D IMAX concert film at odeon cinema outside,in th Printworks building,Manchester,England,U.K,but 4 copyright reasons,it wud not let me upload th 3D video & it wud hav taken up2 over 400MB 2 upload,which cud B over 30mins upload time. :(

Kevin L. said...

This is weird, I just made a 3D video today. You need the old style red/blue glasses to view it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOxHUdcCSFI

Frank said...

Just posted a new Stereo 3D movie using the new 3D tag. It seems to work fine and I am really happy about this new feature.
The video itself shows the changeover at fourth plinth at Travalgar Square. Went several times there and get improved results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yir97XWUDXI

Frank from 21Horizon

uwais_123 said...

hay would we have to dowload anything like add-on and have 3d glasses or just 3d glasses

Love4MusicUK said...

Cool feature but it seems alot of work

Musicality4u said...

This is definitely the way to go.

Leo said...

Here is my first twin camera set up to pull the 3D effect in youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUfRgNJNvk&feature=channel

I will also post a video explaining this very simple test rig.

Leo said...

This video explains my test 3D setup using 2 video cameras mounted to a block of wood. Also covered are some issues I was presented with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nduOEmCxJrg&feature=channel_page

Woody said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wXzrvAvB0

DiSCo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DiSCo said...

Really trustworthy blog. sesli Please keep updating with great posts like this one. sesli sohbet I have booked marked your site and am about to email it

to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading.. sesli chat

DiSCo said...

Really trustworthy blog. sesli Please keep updating with great posts like this one. sesli sohbet I have booked marked your site and am about to email it

to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading.. sesli chat

DiSCo said...

Thank you for sharing a nice article.
seslisohbet

Hair Transplant in turkey said...

Thanks for the information. I really enjoyed, I would like get more
information about this,because is very beautiful, thanks for sharing
Fue Saç Ekimi
Diş Doktoru
Freelance Web Tasarımcı

Post a Comment